Kakegawa-Castle.jpg

Kakegawa Castle was a familiar landmark for travelers on the old Tokaido, the major route connecting the samurai-era government center in Edo (Tokyo) with the capital, Kyoto. Along this highway, travelers would pass through 53 checkpoints and post towns, stopping only at government-approved inns.

Kakegawa served as the 26th stop from Edo's Nihonbashi, the renowned bridge used as the reference point for measuring national distances. Kakegawa also served as a stop on the salt road running through Shinano Province (Nagano Prefecture). Overseeing this important post town, the salt route, and the strategically vital Tokaido route was Kakegawa Castle. In fact, the Tokaido crossed through the eastern section of the castle grounds, requiring travelers to cross a moat, enter the castle grounds, and then exit again, ensuring the route's security.

The initial version of Kakegawa Castle was built around the 1470s by Asahina Yasuhiro, a samurai under the powerful Imagawa clan of Suruga (Shizuoka Prefecture). Following the fall of the Imagawa clan at the Battle of Okehazama in 1560 at the hands of Oda Nobunaga, the lands of the Imagawa were divided between the rival Tokugawa and Takeda clans. Although Kakegawa was within Takeda territory, it was peacefully surrendered to the Tokugawa in 1568. Tokugawa Ieyasu controlled the castle until 1590, when Toyotomi Hideyoshi, having gained control of most of the nation, forced Ieyasu to accept domains in the Kanto region, based in Edo, and cede his other provinces.

Kakegawa was then commanded by Toyotomi retainer Yamanouchi Kazutoyo (Yamauchi Katsutomo), who completely redesigned and improved the castle. The remaining stone walls, moats, and the basic layout of the castle date from Yamanouchi’s time. The keep built by Yamanouchi was destroyed by an earthquake in 1604 and was not rebuilt until 1621.

The Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 saw control of the nation fall into the hands of the victorious Tokugawa Ieyasu. Yamanouchi was transferred to Kochi in Shikoku, and Hisamatsu Sadakatsu, Tokugawa Ieyasu’s half-brother, became the first in a line of mostly Tokugawa-related lords who ruled until 1746.The Ota clan then held the fortress for seven generations until the end of the Edo period.

The castle was well maintained until the great Ansei Earthquakes of 1854 caused extensive damage. Apart from the keep, many of the buildings were repaired by 1861, and following the end of Tokugawa rule, were used as regional administrative offices.

The original Otemon guardhouse still stands, although in a different location, as Kakegawa City Hall was built on the site of the Otemon Yagura, which was relocated to its current position. Six gates once guarded the central precinct. The Otemon has been reconstructed, although about 50 meters west of its original position. The third gate, Fuki-no-Mon, is now part of Enman-ji Temple. The gate was transferred there at the beginning of the Meiji Period but was lowered by 70 cm. Likewise, the Ote-San-Mon was given to the nearby Yusan-ji Temple in Fukuroi, where it remains.

The Ni-no-Maru Goten, a simple yet elegant palace on the flatlands below the hill, remains intact to this day. Built by Daimyo Ota Sukekatsu after the 1854 earthquake and before the collapse of the shogunate, it is among the last truly original Edo period castle structures and is registered as a National Important Property. The land and a substantial amount of money to finance the castle's rebuilding were left to the city by a wealthy resident. With local donations, the keep, some yagura watchtowers, and walled sections were rebuilt in 1994 in the traditional manner, making Kakegawa the first post-war castle to be constructed in wood.

 


See also 

  • Ueda Castle

    Ueda-Castle.jpg

    Ueda Castle in Nagano Prefecture once stood prominently on a cliff overlooking the Saigawa River. Also known as Amagafuchi-Jo, Isesaki-Jo, Matsuo-Jo, and Sanada-Jo, it was built around 1583 by its first master, Sanada Masayuki. This sturdy yet small fortress cleverly utilized the surrounding natural defenses, including the river, steep rocky cliffs, the layout of the town below, and the strategically designed waterways to hinder attackers. Ueda Castle was fortified with seven defensive yagura (watchtowers) atop robust stone walls and had two large gates with watchtowers above them.

    Read more …

  • Tsuyama Castle

    Tsuyama_Castle.jpg

    Tsuyama Castle, located in Tsuyama City, Okayama Prefecture, is celebrated as one of Japan's top three major hilltop (Hirayama) castles, alongside Himeji and Matsuyama Castles. Originally, Tsuyama Castle comprised 77 structures, including the main keep, various yagura (watchtowers), gates, palaces, and living quarters. For comparison, Hiroshima Castle had 76 structures, and Himeji had 61. The first castle on this site was built in 1441 but was soon abandoned. The large-scale construction that we recognize today began in 1603 under the orders of Mori Tadamasa. The castle served as the administrative base for the Tsuyama Han daimyo, the Mori clan from 1603 to 1697, and the Matsudaira clan from 1698 to 1871.

    Read more …

  • Tsu Castle

    Tsu-Castle.jpg

    Tsu Castle, located in Tsu City, Mie Prefecture, was originally built by Hosono Fujiatsu in 1558 and was known as Anotsu Castle, named after the old region. The site was strategically chosen at the confluence of the Ano and Iwata Rivers, which naturally formed a moat around the castle, while the nearby port served as a vital trade route.

    Read more …

  • Sasayama Castle

    Sasayama-Castle.jpg

    Tamba Sasayama Castle, also known as Sasayama or Kirigajo (Mist Castle), is a flatland castle (hira-jiro) situated on a gentle rise in the Tamba region of Hyogo Prefecture. It was constructed in 1608 as part of Tokugawa Ieyasu's strategy to prepare for an attack on Osaka, aiming to bring an end to the Toyotomi clan. Ieyasu ordered the castle's construction using the Tenka Bushin system, engaging 20 former enemy daimyo and their forces to complete the complex within six months. This system kept the former enemies close and preoccupied, financially straining them and limiting their capacity for further conflict. The stones used in Sasayama Castle feature engravings called kokumon, indicating who made each part of the walls and preventing theft by other lords' men.

    Read more …

  • Sadowara Castle

    Sadowara-Castle.jpg

    Sadowara Castle in Miyazaki Prefecture was a mountaintop yamajiro castle, initially built by the Tajima clan during the Nanboku-Cho period (1334-1394). As was typical of castles from that era, Mt. Kakusho, the chosen mountain, was terraced to create various baileys, or kuruwa. While defensive structures were constructed at the top and around the mountain, the lord's main living quarters and administrative offices were situated at the mountain's base.

    Read more …

  • Osaka Castle

    Osaka-Castle.jpg

    Osaka Castle is a prominent symbol of Osaka City, originally constructed in 1583 by Toyotomi Hideyoshi on the site of the Ishiyama Hongan-ji temple-fortress, which had been the scene of a violent uprising by warrior monks and peasants in the late 16th century. Modeled on Oda Nobunaga’s Azuchi Castle, the original Osaka Castle tenshu (tower keep) featured five visible floors, six interior floors, and two underground basements. The exterior was lacquered black and adorned with gold decorations, including large peony flowers, tigers, birds, and various crests.

    Read more …

  • Okazaki Castle

    Okazaki-Castle.jpg

    The Shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu, was born in Okazaki Castle in 1542 during a period of significant civil unrest. At that time, the Tokugawa, then known as the Matsudaira, controlled the rice-rich Mikawa plains of what is now eastern Aichi Prefecture. This fertile region was highly coveted by surrounding warlords. Ieyasu, a shrewd leader and brilliant tactician, managed to maintain and expand his territories. Following in the footsteps of other national unifiers, Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Ieyasu emerged victorious at the decisive Battle of Sekigahara in 1600. In 1603, he was invested as Shogun, a title he made hereditary, enabling the Tokugawa family to rule Japan for the next 250 years.

    Read more …

  • Ogaki Castle

    Ogaki-Castle.jpg

    Ogaki Castle, located in Ogaki City, Gifu Prefecture, was originally built around 1500 by Miyakawa Yasusada and named Ushiya Castle due to the Ushiya River serving as a natural moat. The castle was also known as Bi Castle and Kyoroku Castle. The Ogaki region held strategic importance as a transit point between Mino and Omi Provinces, a fact recognized by Saito Dosan, the Viper of Mino. When Oda Nobunaga captured Gifu Castle in 1567, Ogaki Castle came under Oda rule. Both Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi understood the strategic significance of the castle. In 1595, Hideyoshi ordered Ito Sukemori to expand the castle and construct the Tenshu keep.

    Read more …

 

futer.jpg

Contact: samuraiwr22@gmail.com