Hamamatsu Castle, situated in Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka Prefecture, originally bore the name Hikuma Castle or Shusse-jo ("Castle of Success"). Constructed around 1532 by Imagawa Sadatsuke on a modest hill, its fate changed with the fall of the Imagawa clan following their defeat by Oda Nobunaga at Okehazama in 1560. In the aftermath, Tokugawa Ieyasu, then 29 years old, claimed control of the stronghold, shifting his base from Okazaki to Hamamatsu in 1570. Over the next 17 years, Ieyasu fortified and expanded the castle, shaping it into a Teikakushi-styled layout spanning 600 meters east to west and 650 meters north to south. The south-facing main gate stood sentinel over the vital Tokaido Route.

One legendary incident highlights the strategic cunning of Ieyasu. After narrowly escaping defeat at the Battle of Mikatagahara in 1572, Ieyasu returned to Hamamatsu Castle. He left the main gates open and ignited all the brazier fires, illuminating the fortress to guide his retreating samurai. The resounding beat of a war drum echoed through the January night. When Takeda Shingen's army approached and witnessed the scene, they suspected a trap and refrained from entering, inadvertently sparing Ieyasu and his forces.


In 1577, Ieyasu renamed the castle Hamamatsu. It became known as the "Castle of Success" as many of its lords achieved greater prominence, including Ieyasu's ascent to Shogun. The castle saw a succession of rulers during the Edo period, undergoing 12 changes of lordship.


In modern times, Hamamatsu Castle underwent dismantlement, with its moats filled in, and the inner Honmaru areas transformed into a city park. However, in 1958, a three-story Tenshu was reconstructed in concrete atop the original Nozura-zumi-made Tenshu-dai. The castle's remaining 10.28-hectare grounds, along with its ishigaki stone walls and layout, serve as exceptional examples of a large Sengoku-period castle. Visitors can explore the reconstructed Tenshu, which features a georama of the former castle's layout, a museum housing armor and weapons, and Tokugawa-related artifacts. Recent research suggests that the castle's original keep was not a Tenshu but a large two-story Yagura in the Ni-no-Maru. The reconstruction of the castle's Tenshu-mon in the traditional manner enhances the historical ambiance of Hamamatsu Castle.


Siehe auch

  • Ueda Castle


    Ueda Castle in Nagano Prefecture once stood prominently on a cliff overlooking the Saigawa River. Also known as Amagafuchi-Jo, Isesaki-Jo, Matsuo-Jo, and Sanada-Jo, it was built around 1583 by its first master, Sanada Masayuki. This sturdy yet small fortress cleverly utilized the surrounding natural defenses, including the river, steep rocky cliffs, the layout of the town below, and the strategically designed waterways to hinder attackers. Ueda Castle was fortified with seven defensive yagura (watchtowers) atop robust stone walls and had two large gates with watchtowers above them.

    Read more …

  • Tsuyama Castle


    Tsuyama Castle, located in Tsuyama City, Okayama Prefecture, is celebrated as one of Japan's top three major hilltop (Hirayama) castles, alongside Himeji and Matsuyama Castles. Originally, Tsuyama Castle comprised 77 structures, including the main keep, various yagura (watchtowers), gates, palaces, and living quarters. For comparison, Hiroshima Castle had 76 structures, and Himeji had 61. The first castle on this site was built in 1441 but was soon abandoned. The large-scale construction that we recognize today began in 1603 under the orders of Mori Tadamasa. The castle served as the administrative base for the Tsuyama Han daimyo, the Mori clan from 1603 to 1697, and the Matsudaira clan from 1698 to 1871.

    Read more …

  • Tsu Castle


    Tsu Castle, located in Tsu City, Mie Prefecture, was originally built by Hosono Fujiatsu in 1558 and was known as Anotsu Castle, named after the old region. The site was strategically chosen at the confluence of the Ano and Iwata Rivers, which naturally formed a moat around the castle, while the nearby port served as a vital trade route.

    Read more …

  • Sasayama Castle


    Tamba Sasayama Castle, also known as Sasayama or Kirigajo (Mist Castle), is a flatland castle (hira-jiro) situated on a gentle rise in the Tamba region of Hyogo Prefecture. It was constructed in 1608 as part of Tokugawa Ieyasu's strategy to prepare for an attack on Osaka, aiming to bring an end to the Toyotomi clan. Ieyasu ordered the castle's construction using the Tenka Bushin system, engaging 20 former enemy daimyo and their forces to complete the complex within six months. This system kept the former enemies close and preoccupied, financially straining them and limiting their capacity for further conflict. The stones used in Sasayama Castle feature engravings called kokumon, indicating who made each part of the walls and preventing theft by other lords' men.

    Read more …

  • Sadowara Castle


    Sadowara Castle in Miyazaki Prefecture was a mountaintop yamajiro castle, initially built by the Tajima clan during the Nanboku-Cho period (1334-1394). As was typical of castles from that era, Mt. Kakusho, the chosen mountain, was terraced to create various baileys, or kuruwa. While defensive structures were constructed at the top and around the mountain, the lord's main living quarters and administrative offices were situated at the mountain's base.

    Read more …

  • Osaka Castle


    Osaka Castle is a prominent symbol of Osaka City, originally constructed in 1583 by Toyotomi Hideyoshi on the site of the Ishiyama Hongan-ji temple-fortress, which had been the scene of a violent uprising by warrior monks and peasants in the late 16th century. Modeled on Oda Nobunaga’s Azuchi Castle, the original Osaka Castle tenshu (tower keep) featured five visible floors, six interior floors, and two underground basements. The exterior was lacquered black and adorned with gold decorations, including large peony flowers, tigers, birds, and various crests.

    Read more …

  • Okazaki Castle


    The Shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu, was born in Okazaki Castle in 1542 during a period of significant civil unrest. At that time, the Tokugawa, then known as the Matsudaira, controlled the rice-rich Mikawa plains of what is now eastern Aichi Prefecture. This fertile region was highly coveted by surrounding warlords. Ieyasu, a shrewd leader and brilliant tactician, managed to maintain and expand his territories. Following in the footsteps of other national unifiers, Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Ieyasu emerged victorious at the decisive Battle of Sekigahara in 1600. In 1603, he was invested as Shogun, a title he made hereditary, enabling the Tokugawa family to rule Japan for the next 250 years.

    Read more …

  • Ogaki Castle


    Ogaki Castle, located in Ogaki City, Gifu Prefecture, was originally built around 1500 by Miyakawa Yasusada and named Ushiya Castle due to the Ushiya River serving as a natural moat. The castle was also known as Bi Castle and Kyoroku Castle. The Ogaki region held strategic importance as a transit point between Mino and Omi Provinces, a fact recognized by Saito Dosan, the Viper of Mino. When Oda Nobunaga captured Gifu Castle in 1567, Ogaki Castle came under Oda rule. Both Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi understood the strategic significance of the castle. In 1595, Hideyoshi ordered Ito Sukemori to expand the castle and construct the Tenshu keep.

    Read more …



Contact: samuraiwr22@gmail.com